I would like to begin today, by telling a story...
When I was 9 years old, I went to live with my dad. He was a single dad and not very domesticated, putting it mildly. Potatoes and meat were it when it came to his culinary skills; so more often than not, dinner came in a brown paper bag... LOL. One of his favorite signature Steve Sloan dishes was SOS gravy and homemade mashed potatoes.... as a kid, I can tell you.... YUMMY! I was tall and skinny... and constantly eating... some probably wondered... exactly where was I putting all that food. One night, my dad made his dish... the rule in our house was once you had "cleaned" your plate you may go back for seconds on what you wanted... well, that night I was so hungry, and asked for seconds. I had mounded a huge mountain of potatoes on my plate and then smothered it in the gravy and sat back down at the table. My dad laughed his ass off and told me I would never finish what I had put on my plate. Suffice it to say... I did. From that day forward, my dad gave me the name "Hoover", hoover-matic vacuum cleaner. At 9, I hated that name, especially when he said in front of others... I kept it only for a couple of years... and then, only when he was reliving the memory, would he mention Hoover again.... back then, I had a high metabolism, as does my daughter... and I smile and tell her... eat it all now, because when you hit 18-19 years old.... those hips and butt will come out... and then you have to watch how much you eat.... haha....
A couple of years ago I was introduced to the concept of Dia de los Muertos... Day of the Dead. Now, I know this sounds morbid, but it's not. I came home and did some research to understand this celebration. It is a celebration of life centered around celebrating the lives of your ancestors and loved ones... remembering them as well as remembering ourselves. It is meant to be a joyous occasion. Emma and I usually celebrate with a dinner honoring and celebrating our family, particularly my dad, Papa Steve. Only once, did I ever make SOS the way my dad did in June of 1999. I was proud of myself, only to have my mom call me the next morning to tell me that my dad had passed. I have tried since, just can't quite get it. I made some last night with a big glass of milk... and smiled and remembered. Definitely cannot eat it like Hoover did back then... LOL. Tonight, is the traditional second night. However, I am working late, so tomorrow night, I am making Swedish meatballs for the first time in honor and celebration of my maternal family. I have been to Sverige and I love the cuisine. I only hope that I will do well and it's edible. (smiling)
One thing that I have learned over the last few years from this tradition. Why wait until those you love are gone to celebrate them? I don't live near my family, so occasions such as birthdays, etc., I am not close enough to celebrate with them, but we will have dinner and celebrate them, or if someone I love has been on my mind lately... I do something to celebrate them and their life, and that I am blessed to have them.... here and now. Perhaps, I should be more vocal and expressive... this is something I usually do in private... and really, that is okay too. Next weekend is a friend's birthday... now, I am going to dinner and a concert... it is something I want to do... love the band, but also, it is something we would be doing together if he were here. So, I am going to celebrate him, his life, and that we are blessed to have each other, friends, family... all of it... and that I am absolutely blessed to be myself...
so, CELEBRATE! Life is short, make it the best....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment